Back to News

Residental Garbage

Residential Garbage

Why are rates not listed online?

 Rates are subject to change and are based on a variety of factors, including the location of your home or business. Please contact us for rate information. 

Do you offer replacement containers (garbage, recycling and/or FoodPlus! Yardwaste)?

If your SSC containers were lost or stolen or you need additional containers, you may order more. Fees may apply. Please contact us to place an order or order more.

Note: SSC supplied containers are the property of SSC. Please label them with your address. DO NOT take them with you if you move. Customers are responsible for any theft, loss, or damage in excess of normal use of SSC containers. SSC is not responsible for items left in, on, or near garbage Toters® or garbage cans.

My SSC container is damaged. Can it be repaired?

Please contact us or schedule a repair online.

How do I prevent windblown litter from my garbage container?

Please bag and seal all garbage, especially Styrofoam peanuts/packaging and shredded paper-before placing in container. Close lids securely. 

How do I properly dispose of medicines?

 Do NOT flush, trash, or store unwanted, unused, or expired medications. If medicine(s) cannot be disposed of through a participating pharmacy, mix the medicine(s) with wet coffee grounds or wetted cat litter in a plastic bag. Tie the bag shut and discard in the garbage. For more information, visit City of Bellingham Household Medicine Return Program or Washington State Medicine Disposal Program.Narcotic pain relievers and prescribed controlled substances, not including illegal narcotics, are accepted at the Bellingham Police Department

How do I properly dispose of needles/sharps?

Residential sharps generated from self-treatment (ex. hypodermic needles, syringes with needles attached, scalpel blades, lancets and unused medicines left in syringes) can be disposed as garbage when properly packaged and labeled

To safely dispose of used needles, syringes, or unused medicines left in syringes (sharps), place in a 2-liter soda bottle and seal securely. Label “SHARPS” and discard in the garbage. If your healthcare provider provides an official sharps disposal container please use that container until it is full, or you are otherwise finished with it, then seal it according to the manufacturer’s directions and place in the garbage. For more information visit, Whatcom County Health and Community Services.

View of forest and mountains

Sign Up for Service Alerts

Get real-time updates about weather events, collection schedule changes, and other updates that affect your SSC service.

Sign Up