View of the bay from the top of a hill

Birch Bay

Drop Box Facility & Recycling Center

Visit Us

Open to Whatcom County residents for household garbage disposal and recycling.

4297 Birch Bay Lynden Rd
Blaine, WA
Get Directions


Sundays, 9AM-5PM
Closed most major holidays.

Call (360) 734-3490

Birch Bay

At the Birch Bay Drop Box Facility & Recycling Center we accept solid waste (general household trash). Please check in at scale house for a free estimate.

Accepted Garbage

  • Household Garbage

not accepted

What's Not Accepted

  • Asbestos

  • Ashes (Hot)

  • CFL/Fluorescent Lighting

  • Chemicals

  • Dead Animals

  • Explosives (inc. ammunition)

  • Gasoline

  • Hazardous, toxic, radioactive, or dangerous waste

  • Paint (Liquid)

  • Pesticides, etc.

  • Propane Tanks

Accepted Recycling

  • Antifreeze (No charge)

  • Appliances – non-refrigerant (Ex. stoves, washers, dryers, water heaters, dishwashers)

  • Batteries (Vehicle, Boat, SLA)

  • Bottles, Cans, and Plastic Containers

  • Cardboard

  • Lead Foil and Fish Weights

  • Motor Oil (No charge)

  • Oil Filters (No charge)

  • Paper (Scrap Paper, Newspaper)

  • Scrap Metal

Light bulbs

Not Accepted Recycling

  • Ceramics

  • Light Bulbs

  • License Plates (certain types)

  • Mirrors

  • Wax-coated Boxes

  • Window Glass

  • Windshields

Frequently Asked Garbage & Recycling Questions

Answers to commonly-asked disposal questions.

What are rates at Drop Box Facility & Recycling Centers?

Contact us for rates or call (360) 734-3490.

How do I prepare bottles, cans, and plastic containers for recycling?

Rinsed and clean items only. All colors and numbers accepted. All caps, lids, and rings accepted.

Remove and recycle paper labels from tin cans.

Remove metal handles from buckets.

Flatten aluminum foil and plastic bottles.

How do I prepare garbage for disposal?

Bag and seal all trash.

What batteries can I dispose of?

No cracked or leaking batteries.

Vehicle and Boat (Lead Acid). Leave battery caps on.

Rechargeable batteries are not accepted. Contact Disposal of Toxics.

Recycle alkaline and carbon-zinc (household) batteries at a retailer or dispose of as garbage.

How do I dispose of CFL/fluorescent lighting?

Contact Whatcom County Disposal of Toxics.

Residential trash bins on the road

Curbside Services

Lighten the load and let SSC do the hauling. Sign up for garbage, recycling, or Foodplus! Yardwaste curbside service online, by email:, or phone: (360) 734-3490. We look forward to serving you!

Start Residential Service Start Commercial Service